How Much Does the Average Car Engine Weigh?
The average weight of a car engine is about 300-350 pounds. The addition of other parts like transmission and water pump increases the overall weight.
In general, electric cars have a lighter engine than gasoline cars. However, the weight of batteries in an electric car makes their overall weight almost the same as that of gasoline cars.
Listed below are the weights of a few car engines that explain the variance and everything else you need to know about the average car engine weight.
- Starting with Chevy, the lightest Chevy engine is the Chevy Vega L4, weighing just 285lbs.
- The heaviest Chevy engine comes with the Chevy Big Block V8 weighing over 685 lbs.
- The Cadillac V16’s engine weighs about 1300 lbs and is one of the heaviest car engines.
- The Audi car engines are lighter with the heaviest of them being the 385 lbs engine of the Non-Turbo Audi 5.
- The Audi 80 1300 and Audi 100 1500 deliver high-end performances with their engines weighing just 230 and 240 lbs, respectively.
- The BMW 4.5L V12 engine weighs 607 lbs and is the heaviest car engine used in any BMW car.
- BMW M60 Small Six has the lightest of BMW engines weighing 388 pounds without any accessories added on.
- The Isuzu 1.4L Diesel weighs 384 lbs and is heavier than the Isuzu 1.4L gas engine which weighs 311 lbs.
- The engine used in the Mercedes SOHC V8 aluminium model weighs 452 lbs while that used in the Iron variant weighs 540 lbs.
- The Nissan CA20 FWD has an engine weighing 269 lbs while that of Nissan Z-20 NAPS Z-2.0 weighs 346 lbs.
- The engine in Porsche 901 is slightly heavier and weighs about 901 lbs.
- The Renault EF-1 has the heaviest Renault engines weighing 395 lbs.
How Much Does a Car Engine Weigh-in Kg?
The engines in smaller hatchbacks and sedans, on average weigh about 160kgs.
Depending on the size of the car, the weight might increase or decrease.
The engine of an F1 car weighs just about 95 kgs, while that of an SUV weighs about 270 kgs.
The weight of a car’s engine depends on its volume, the material used, and the number of cylinders installed in it.
With aluminum replacing cast iron in car engines, manufacturers have significantly managed to pull down the weight of car engines.
How Much Does a Car Engine Weigh in Pounds?
An average-sized car engine weighs about 350 pounds. The weight range for car engines begins at 200 pounds and ends at around 1500 pounds.
The smaller cars have a lighter engine, while the heavier SUVs need higher output and have heavier engines.
Each manufacturer will use different materials for their engine, and the same capacity engine can weigh differently for other manufacturers.
How Much Does a 4 Cylinder Engine Weigh?
A 4 cylinder car engine or a regular 2.0L V4 car engine weighs around 300 lbs. This average weight can vary depending on the material used.
Most car manufacturers like Ford, Volkswagen, and Chevy are constantly trying to reduce their car engine weight.
Lighter engines are more efficient and perform better. Companies are investing in research on getting the car engine weight reduced. The research has improved as we see V4 engines weighing around 260-280 lbs in newer versions.
How Much Does a V6 Engine Weigh?
The V6 engine, on average, weighs around 400 lbs or 181 kgs. The type of material used in the V6 engines does have a major impact on the engine weight.
While the cast-iron V6 engines, like the Chevy V6 4.3L, weigh around 425 lbs, the lighter aluminium-based V6 engines, like the Ferrari Dino V6, weigh just about 265 lbs, which is lower than the average weight of even a V4 engine.
The lightest V6 engine is the Ford Mondeo V6 engine, which weighs just 225 lbs.
How Much Does a V12 Engine Weigh?
The V12 engine, on average, weighs around 650 lbs. It is an assembly of two V6 engines, ideally at a displacement angle of 60°. In cars, the displacement angle is set at 60°, but in some cases, it is set to 90° as well.
The V12 engines were a legacy brought in by Jaguar in the early 90s, but were eventually discarded by the turn of the century and were replaced by the V8 engines.
Of the ones currently existing, the BMW 4.5L V12 engine weighs about 607 lbs, the V12 engine in Ferrari 312T weighs 387 lbs, the Ferrari 250 V12 weighs 382 lbs, and the Jaguar V12 weighs 680 lbs.
Ferrari has made some advancements in reducing the weight of its V12 engines and has delivered the most efficient performing cars lately.
How Much Does a VW Engine Weigh?
The air-cooled VW engines weigh around 200-250 lbs. The recent type 4 VW engines are lighter in weight and weigh less than 200 lbs.
The 1300cc VW engine weighs about 210 lbs, including the weight of the clutch and carburetor. The pallet holding the engine together weighs around 15-18 lbs, which takes the engine assembly’s total weight to approximately 230 lbs.
How Much Does the Engine in an Electric Car Weigh?
The electric cars do not have combustion engines but have electric motors, weighing around 90-105 lbs. The motors used in Tesla cars are about 100 lbs. The D Model of Tesla P100 has 2 motors, each weighing about 100 lbs.
Though the engine or motor weight for electric cars is significantly lower than gasoline or diesel engine cars, electric cars’ overall weight is way more than gasoline or diesel cars. This is primarily due to the heavy batteries installed in electric cars.
Is a Diesel Engine Heavier Than a Gasoline Engine?
The Diesel engines are heavier than the gasoline engines and hence are slower. That is one reason why most cars have a gasoline engine instead of a diesel engine.
However, diesel engines have a longer life and are also more efficient than gasoline engines.
Diesel engines have a 20% greater heat combustion rate and give 20% more output than gasoline engines.
How Much Does Engine Weight Affect the Speed of a Car?
The reduction in engine weight is directly proportional to the speed of the car. A 10% reduction in engine weight can increase the car’s top speed and acceleration by around 10%.
In racing cars, a reduction of 100lbs will reduce 1/10thsecond from the time required to hit the top speed.
On paper, this reduction looks minimal, but in practice, this is enough to make the difference on a racing track.
How Much Does a Tesla Motor Weigh?
The Tesla motors weigh around 80-90 lbs. A few of the Tesla motors are even lighter and weigh just about 70 lbs.
- The motors used in the D Model of Tesla P100 weigh about 100 lbs each.
- The motor used in Tesla Model S is one of the lightest and weighs only 70 lbs.
- The Tesla Model 3 doesn’t use an induction motor and instead uses a permanent magnet motor which is slightly heavier and weighs about 85 lbs.
How Much Does a Ford Engine Weigh?
Ford engines’ weight varies, with the lightest one being the Ford Germany Taunus V4 engine weighing just 204 lbs and the heaviest engine, Ford BOSS, weighing 680 lbs.
- The 2021 Ford Mustang Model uses the 32 valve V8 DOHC engine which weighs about 510 lbs.
- The engine of the Ford Falcon, the popular Ford Barra engine, weighs about 525 lbs.
- The Ford SAAB V4 and the Ford Germany Taunus V4 engines are the lightest in weight weighing 204 lbs.
- The Ford BOSS engines are the heaviest and weigh about 680 lbs.
- The Ford FE Big Block is also significantly heavy, weighing 640 lbs and 670 lbs.
- The Ford Y Block V8 engines were slightly heavier and had a weight of 625 lbs.
- The Ford Flathead V8 engines weighed between 525-569 lbs.
How Much Does a Toyota Engine Weigh?
On average, Toyota engines are lighter than the overall average car engine weight of 350 lbs, weighing around 260-300 lbs.
- The Toyota 18R, 22R, and 20R engines, more popularly used in the Corona and Celica models weigh about 318 lbs.
- The Toyota 4A-GE four iron block engines weigh around 340 lbs and are the heaviest Toyota engines.
- The Toyota 3SG engines weigh around 293 lbs and are used in the more recent Celica models.
- The engine used in Toyota Corolla weighs 225 lbs and is the lightest among Toyota engines.
How Much Does a Honda Engine Weigh?
Almost all the Honda Engines have the same weight. The D-series Honda engines weigh 309 lbs.
- The Honda CVCC engines used in Honda Civic more recently weigh 227 lbs.
- The Honda J Series engines are the heaviest, weighing 550 lbs.
- The Honda H Series VTEC weighs 485 lbs and is one of Honda’s most powerful engines.
- The B-series VTEC weighs 405 lbs while the non-VTEC B-Series engines weigh 395 lbs.
- The 2.0L K Series on average, weighs 405 lbs but the ones used in Civic SI (2002-2005) were lighter, weighing about 380 lbs.
How Much Does a KIA Engine Weigh?
The V4 engines used in KIA cars, on average, weighs about 295 lbs. Most of the KIA cars use Hyundai engines.
- The KIA Sonnet uses the Hyundai R engine, which weighs about 295 lbs.
- The KIA Carens, KIA Forte, and KIA Rondo (all 2006-2013 make) use the Hyundai Theta 2.0L engines, which also weigh 295 lbs.
- The Theta-II engines used in KIA Optima (2011-2019) are slightly heavier and weigh about 305 lbs.
- The engine used in KIA Stinger (2017-present), the Theta-II 2.0T Turbo, weighs 295 lbs.
- The KIA Cerato (LD) (2003-2006) uses the Hyundai Alpha 1.5L engine, weighing about 255 lbs.